Earn Awesome Free Stuff!

Search & Win

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Change In Plans - Sleeve Gastrectomy!

I've completed my gastric surgery orientation, seminar, psych eval, nutrition counseling, and meeting with the surgeon! Next weekend, I have an ultrasound to check if I have gallstones. If so, they will open up the gallbladder and remove them during surgery. I have to lose 20 lbs (15 to go!) and then I can schedule my surgery. The surgeries are currently scheduled about 6 weeks out, so I hope to be on the operating table in about 2 months!
I've decided to have the gastric-sleeve surgery, instead of the lapband. One reason is that the band is not very effective if your BMI is over 45, which mine is.
(to calculate your own BMI, you can visit http://www.gastric-bypass-guru.com/bmi-index-calculator.html )
It's also a lot harder and slower to lose weight. There's also the possibility of the band slipping, and/or perforating the stomach; the line to your port kinking, and your port shifting. Also, steroids such as prednisone and cortisone cannot be given to bypass or lapband patients. Bypass because you don't have the intestines to break it down, and it causes ulcers. Lapband because it causes thinning and perforating of the stomach wall where the band is. Seeing as I'm a lifelong asthmatic, chances are high that I will need prednisone again at points throughout my life.
I'm personally still 100% against the gastric bypass, AKA roux-en-y or RNY, for several reasons, namely the very unnatural re-routing and splicing & dicing of my intestines. There all also many more side-effects, such as malabsorption, ulcers, and dumping syndrome, and it has the highesty morbidity rate of any gastric surgery.
The "sleeve gastrectomy" is when a bariatric surgeon removes about 60 percent of the stomach so that it takes the shape of a tube or sleeve. This operation is performed laparoscopically, meaning that the surgeon makes small incisions as opposed to one large incision. He inserts a viewing tube with a small camera (laparoscope) and other tiny instruments into these small incisions to remove part of the stomach. The tube-shaped stomach that is left is sealed closed with staples.
As for pre-surgery weight loss, here's what I've done so far:
For the last couple of weeks, I have cut all resteraunt portions in half, and eaten only half. I've also reduced (but not eliminated) fast food, and greatly reduced snacking. I have gone from drinking 88+ oz of diet pepsi per day, to one cup of coffee and 12-24 oz of diet pepsi per day.
I've begun walking again now that it's not dark when I get home from work. So far I've only done 15 minutes (one mile) at a time, but I will increase. I also got the 'Just Dance' excercise game for the Nintendo Wii- it is FUN and quite a workout! I've never sweated so much in my life! It really gets my heart going. So far, I've only done it for 30 min. sessions, but that too will change as my stamina increases.
I think that's about it for now-- keep the prayers coming, please!

2 comments:

  1. You will be a new you. I was sleeved 9 days ago and I have already lost 22 pounds. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is really outstanding info about sleeve gastrectomy Melbourne. thanks for aware this informative post.

    ReplyDelete